The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen


Old Cover Love Forever
 

a long, hot summer...
That's what Macy has to look forward to while her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of Macy's father.  
But sometimes unexpected things can happen—things such as the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things such as meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder, Is it really better to be safe than sorry?

The Truth About Forever is probably my all-time favorite Sarah Dessen book. The first time I read it was the summer after seventh grade. I was thirteen, and on a full-out Sarah Dessen kick. Three summers later, and like four or five re-reads later, I can still say with confidence that this is one of the best books I have ever read. In fact, the older I get, the more I love and appreciate The Truth About Forever and every aspect in it. Every word. Every scene. Every moment. 

Macy's dad died. A year and a half later, everyone is still coping with the loss in different ways. Caroline, Macy's older sister has grieved and is ready to remember. Her mother throws herself into her work in order to feel in control. And Macy just keeps everything in, trying so desperately hard to be perfect, or at least her definition of it. She's built a wall, and on some levels can't everyone relate to that. How people feel that maintaining perfect on the outside will hide the less-than-perfect inside. Watching Macy start working at Wish, and taking risks, and see her change as the novel progresses is so wonderful. You root for Macy from the start, and even when she pisses you off, you continue to root for her until the end.

Macy starts working at Wish, a catering business run by a frazzled--and pregnant--Delia. Wish is the chaos that Macy unexplainably needs in her life, and she finds herself loving the disorganization of working there. Along with Wish we get an array of lovable characters. Kristy is one of my all time favorite characters. Just her whole attitude about forever, how it's both short and long and how it's all in the few. Also, she has made the word "tragical" a part of my vocabulary. And then there's her sister Monica, and her "mmhmm" and "donnevens." And then there's Bert, the adorable in you just want to pinch his cheek kind of way, Armageddon obsessed one. And then there's Wes.

Wes. Wesley. Just, like, let me love you. Okay? The thing about Wes, is that he's so much more than just a pretty face. And it's so refreshing, the depth there is to that boy. Him and Macy's interactions were always so adorable, watching their friendship develop through playing Truth, Macy realizing that they might have more in common than she thought. And the thing about Wes is that while he's not perfect by any means, he has a past, but he doesn't even know how fantastic he is. He's so humble and honest and just sa Kristy says it best, how he's one of those extraordinary boys. "Quiet and incredible." 

Of course, the writing itself is amazing as well. Sarah Dessen has this way of taking simple words--the words we think but don't say--and making them beautiful. Her prose is something to be jealous of, the dialogue witty and fun and so realistic. God, sometimes I wish I could just BE Sarah Dessen. *bows down*

So yeah. Please do yourselves a favor and read this book. Even if you've read other Dessen books and they weren't your favorite. Or if you've been wanting to read it, but have been putting it off. Read it now, please God I'm begging you. 



post signature

3 comments:

Paige said...

Yay! Thanks for this review! My local library has this but it's checked out.. soon as it's back I'm getting it! :D

Veronika said...

I have this book on my TBR list already but didn't get the chance to read it yet! I've heard it's amazing. thank you for the review!

Isa said...

I really enjoy Sarah Dessen's writing but I yet to read this book. It sounds amazing and I have heard good things about Wes in several reviews that I've read. I so need to go on a Sarah Dessen haul. xD