In Honor by Jessi Kirby


Hours after her brother’s military funeral, Honor opens the last letter Finn ever sent. In her grief, she interprets his note as a final request and spontaneously decides to go to California to fulfill it.

Honor gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen Rusty in ages, but it’s obvious he is as arrogant and stubborn as ever—not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Despite Honor’s better judgment, the two set off together on a voyage from Texas to California. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn’s memory—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?

I've been excited about this book since I've heard about it. And I was not disappointed! In Honor is a quick summer read that balances both the fun and heaviness of the topics wonderfully.

First off--road trip. HELL. YES. Like I've said before, road trips are so underused in YA and it's one of my all time favorite settings, so when I find one I just eat it up. I think it's the perfect setting to capture that emotional journey that YA readers crave--while simultaneously pairing it with the physical journey. With In Honor, Honor and Rusty are on a trip from Texas to California. Along the way, they end up at a campground in New Mexico and Sedona. I loved the detours and roadblocks and honestly just the time spent in the car. I just love road trips.

While I loved the plot, parts of it seemed a little too well contrived, and that's the only reason I bumped off half a star. Like, I absolutely adored the whole Finn plot. It was so sad, but so well done. Honor's brother Finn died in the military. I could feel how much Honor missed Finn and how much she loved him, and throughout I could tell how much he loved her too. Once you throw in the whole Kyra Kelley thing though, everything just seemed to fall into place too well. In the last letter Finn sent Honor, he included tickets to singer Kyra Kelley's farewell show. So Honor goes on this trip in the first place to see and hopefully meet Kyra Kelley and talk to her about Finn. I don't want to give too much away, but certain things happened along the way that just seemed too perfect. 

So much character love though. Honor was so complex. Jessi Kirby did the irrational behavior due to grief so well with her. And how memories of Finn kept popping up. But Honor wasn't depressing all the time either. She was funny and sarcastic and smart, and just all together a well developed character. I felt with her, but I never thought she was too whiny or felt sorry for her either. So that was good.

And then there's Rusty. Oh my goodness Rusty. So much Rusty love. He's the guy I always fall for in books. The sexy, tortured soul who acts like an ass but is sweet underneath. *Sigh*. And then there's the fact that he's freaking based off of Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights, so I basically have Taylor Kitsch sexiness in my head throughout the whole book which only made me love Rusty more. And I loved seeing the relationship development between Rusty and Honor. Because it was a slow, ongoing process. One that went from hate to dislike to maybe like to super like. It was adorable.

So overall this book was fantastic. Definitely recommend.
4.5 Stars.


post signature

1 comments:

Jenna said...

fjsadjflaskjdflkjsd this book <3