White Cat by Holly Black

The first in a trilogy, this gritty, fast-paced fantasy is rife with the unexpected. Cassel comes from a shady, magical family of con artists and grifters. He doesn't fit in at home or at school, so he's used to feeling like an outsider. He's also used to feeling guilty--he killed his best friend, Lila, years ago.

But when Cassel begins to have strange dreams about a white cat, and people around him are losing their memories, he starts to wonder what really happened to Lila. In his search for answers, he discovers a wicked plot for power that seems certain to succeed. But Cassel has other ideas-- and a plan to con the conmen.

I wanted to love this book. I really did. I heard a lot of great things about it. But I just didn't connect. By the end, I honestly didn't care what happened to the characters. The plot was unique, and the writing was decent. The characters themselves just didn't do it for me to be honest. There was a disconnect that really threw off my enjoyment of the novel.

The world building in this novel was great. It was such a cool concept, the idea of people being curse workers and having control of people's fate. But it was set during modern day. Normally I like it better when an author just throws the reader into the new world and makes them figure things out... which is what black did. But I feel like with this there needed to be a bit more background and explaining. There were great moments at times... and then there were moments when it didn't feel believable enough.

There were some good, suspenseful moments in here. And a couple nice twists. But I didn't believe into the story line enough to believe any of it to be quite honest. I had more of a "yeah right" attitude while reading this book.

The thing is, there wasn't one character that I connected with. Cassel was a pathological liar, a conman, and frankly kind of crazy. Everyone in his family was crazy. I guess if I got into the whole curse workers story, maybe I would've sympathized with him a bit. And then I thought I was going to like Lila, but I didn't even like her either. She was horrible. THERE WAS NO ONE FOR ME TO BOND WITH. And when that happens, no matter how amazing the plot is, the whole book plummets in my mind.

I've never been a big fantasy person to begin with, but I went out on a limb here with White Cat and I'm sad to say that it disappointed. I really think that it just wasn't the right read for me. If you're a big fantasy fan, I would say to give it a shot. If you're more eh about fantasy like me, then I don't know.




2 comments:

Mia said...

I'm sad you didn't like it! But hey, to each their own. I've always loved books like this and that's probably where my love for it stemmed from. I can get why the book didn't work with you and you make some valid points. I connected with Cassel but then again, I'm crazy. XP

Amaranthine said...

Eh, I was never a fan of Holly Black's writing to begin with. Ever read the series that made her famous? (Spiderwick Chronicles) bo-ring XD.

Hope life is going good! Give us an update!

<3,
Amaranthine