If it Weren't for Inkpop...

 
On March 1st, InkPop, a website very near and dear to my heart, will no longer exist. HarperCollins sold Inkpop to Figment, another teen writing website. This both saddens and angers me.

The truth is, I've been off Inkpop for a while now. Ever since the layout/website change, I haven't been nearly as active as I was in the beginning. To me, Inkpop's been going downhill for a while now. But it's so sad to me that HC is just abandoning everything.

I remember when I first joined Inkpop, two years ago. I was fourteen years old, and the idea of a website full of teen writers like me was so mindblowingly amazing. I never realized so many people shared the same dreams and aspirations for writing as I did. And the possibility that a REAL editor would get to read and critique some of MY writing was so incredible. I was like, oh, but I'll probably never get up there. And then when I did top five it was such an amazing feeling.

If it weren't for Inkpop, I wouldn't be the writer that I am today. I wouldn't know how to properly punctuate, tag dialogue, or any of that technical stuff. I still remember the light bulb moment back when I first joined that was like OH, IT HAS TO ALL BE IN THE SAME TENSE. The fabulous critiques I got in the beginning helped me grow and develop my writing so much.

Hell, if it weren't for Inkpop, I probably wouldn't even have a finished manuscript yet, or some of the projects I'm currently working on. The idea that people were counting on me and waiting for me to post chapters is what motivated me to write.

If it weren't for inkpop, I don't think I'd be confident in my writing at all. The positive comments I would get meant the world to me. Inkpop made me felt like I mattered. It gave me a voice.

And most importantly, if it weren't for Inkpop, I wouldn't have became friends with so many amazing people. To bond with and connect with people all over the world over the same love is so great. And it's crazy how close you can become with people you've never met. We've had the craziest, most hilarious conversations, and priceless Skype conversation. In essence, Inkpop gave me another family, people who get in me a way that people in the real world don't.

Inkpop made me realize that there's a whole world outside of my town. And a whole bunch of people who are just like me. Back in middle school, I was ostracized because I loved reading. I was bullied over it. Having a place to go where I could fangirl about books with other people seriously has meant the world to me.

So, thank you Inkpop. You have done so much for so many people, and it's sad to see you go.

RIP.


post signature

4 comments:

Lexx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lexx said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sad :( I was just about to join the other day too! I think Inkpop should read your post, and maybe they'd change their mind! ;)

Alyianna said...

Hi Marisa,

Did you get this email this morning?

- Alyianna

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
We're excited to announce that the inkpop site and community will be merging with Figment, which means you can now be part of an even bigger community of writers.

Figment is a creative writing website and just like inkpop it's dedicated to fostering talented writers and giving them a platform to gain a wider audience. As a Figment member, you'll have even more ways to get feedback, improve your writing, and connect with authors and publishing professionals.

While inkpop will no longer exist as its own site after 3/1/12, the inkpop & Figment teams are working hard to make sure all inkpop accounts and projects will have a new home and that you will be able to easily find & connect with each other on Figment. Over the next few days, you'll receive step-by-step instructions that will guide you through the process of moving your account information to Figment.

Thank you for being a part of the inkpop community—we are excited about this new partnership and look forward to seeing you and reading your writing on Figment. If you have any questions, please contact inkpop@harpercollins.com.

Sincerely,
The inkpop team

Paige said...

It makes me so upset. Like a part of me has died. I just want to curl in a ball and cry. Like you, it helped me grow so much. I am going to miss it so much :'(