Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout


The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Ever since reading Obsidian, I'd been dying to read more of Jennifer's writing. Her writing style and strong main characters are just so much fun to read. Half-Blood definitely did not disappoint. It was pretty kick ass. And that cover is so gorgeous.


Okay, I've heard from a lot of reviews that there are a lot of Vampire Academy similarities in this book. And that made me a little wary going into it. But as a huge, gigantic VA fan, I have to say that while they're were parallels, it wasn't bad enough that it bothered me. As the book progressed it developed into something unique and pretty awesome. Totally get why people are saying it's similar, how Alex is basically Rose and Aiden is Dimitri and whatnot...but honestly I felt like Half-Blood held it's own and it didn't really bother me.

Alex is pretty awesome. She was a great narrator. She was so strong in some ways, and very fragile in others, and that made her so believable. Everything with her mom was so well done. The conflicted feelings and all. She was brave to a fault, making stupid decisions. But I love her voice, and reading her narration is just so much fun.

Then there's Aiden. And Seth. I loved Aiden. He was Alex's trainer, and just super awesome. And let's be honest, he's super hot. It's obvious that he cares about Alex but he's not super overprotective. And there's back story about his parents and his brother Deacon that made him real. But then there's Seth. The sexy Apollyon. I loved the constant banter between him and Alex. He amused me, and Alex amused me more when she was around him. Because, I mean, the Apollyon is a big freaking deal, so I loved that Alex didn't think he was. I'm really sensing some love triangle-ness in the next couple books... so we'll see where this goes.


Another aspect that was great about this book was that in wasn't at all romance-centric. Yes, of course Jennifer added some hot moments, but most of the books centered around the major plot of Alex and her Daimon-turned mother. I loved watching Alex's training sessions with Aiden, and seeing that she wasn't OMG amazing at first, that she really had to work to get where she was. And like I said before, the conflicted feelings about her mom were so well done. Because I too would want to hope for the best. So I really felt for Alex. And I loved that in the end, she followed through with the decision she had to make.

Overall, the writing itself was great. I might've liked a little bit more description at times, but for the most part everything was really well done. The character development through the writing is the best part, it definitely makes the characters come off the pages. I'm really interested to read Pure and see where Alex's story will take us next!




2 comments:

Mia said...

All I ever hear is how amazing Jennifer L. Arementrout is. I suppose I should go out and get one of her books reeaallyy soon. It's a good thing I just got paid.
And yay for strong characters! I'm always characters > plot. If there's a good plot but weak characters, I always find it harder to read.
And heeey... I'm totally digging seeing White Cat underneath Currently Reading. Twitter is very persuasive, yes? (I'm actually rereading it right now!) ;D

Marisa said...

Mia: I'm the same way. If it's the greatest plot ever but I hate the characters... then I don't like the book. And yes! Jennifer Armentrout is fantastic. I personally preferred Obsidian over Half-Blood due to originality... but her work is awesome :D