I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Meet Ed Kennedy—underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he’s hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That’s when the first Ace arrives. That’s when Ed becomes the messenger. . . .

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who’s behind Ed’s mission?

Markus Zusak, you brilliant, brilliant man. Can I just leave my review at that? I read The Book Thief two summer's ago and it remains one of my all time favorite books, so I figured it was about time I read another work by Zusak. And this one has been recommended to me multiple times. Just, wow. Oh my God. 

Markus Zusak possess the rare gift that not many writers hold. His words don't only grab you from the beginning, but continually pull you in. It doesn't matter if nothing makes sense. It doesn't matter if you're confused. You're compelled to keep reading, because you know everything Zusak does is intentional, and that everything will come together in the end. His words, the meaning behind them, and the journey taken throughout this book is just so, so beautiful. His writing style is something that I'd kill to have. Just, oh my God!

Ed wasn't just the messenger...he was a message to us all. His character was perfectly contrived, and the transition throughout the novel was brilliant. And I loved how it truly felt as though I was being spoken to, as though Ed was speaking to me. The characters in general were brilliant. All of them. Marv and Ritchie. Milla and Sophie. Audrey. Zusak has this way of making you care about every single character, even if they were minor. 

And the plot is just so unique...and quite frankly inspiring. So many messages are delivered through this novel, and every single one is poignant and touching in one way or another. What got to me the most was Marv's secret... damn that was a fantastic twist. I never knew quite what to expect next with this book, which is one of my favorite qualities in a read.  

Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant. Mindblowingly brilliant. I can't use that word enough when describing this book. It was everything I expected while at the same time being nothing I expected. Everything was so well done. Just, gah! I'm sorry that this review is so short...it's just sometimes the books that blow you away are the toughest reviews to write. I don't know if what I'm saying is doing this book any justice... but everyone needs to read it. Like, now. 




0 comments: