The Fault in our Stars by John Green

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


Oh my God. This book is hands down one of the best books I have ever read, and probably will ever read. I sat down this morning, and did not get up until I finished. In that time, I had laughed more than I had ever laughed while reading a book, and cried more than I have ever cried. This book was truly a roller coaster of emotions, and I'm seriously sitting here tearing up again while writing the review. I had to pause for a moment, not able to write this immediately upon finishing the novel because it's almost like how can I possibly write a review that will do this book justice?

Of course everything I write is going to be spoiler free, but if you have not read the book, I totally recommend going into it with a fresh head and not reading any reviews, even the spoiler-free ones. I won't even tell my sister what happened, because though she is 13, I anticipate that she'll be reading this in the next year or two, and I still don't want to spoil it for her.

John. Oh John. You are just so GOOD. Your writing is always smart and witty and deep and powerful, so of course I expected no less for The Fault in our Stars. You pour so much meaning into every name, every sentence, every word. It was impossible for me to put this book down, I couldn't have even if I absolutely had to. You have such a way with words, it never ceases to amaze me.

These characters were fantastic. They were never played off or perceived as perfect, and that's what made this book what it was. Hazel's voice was so honest, I felt like I knew her. Everything was just so incredibly real about this book and this story. I was so invested in these character's and their story, and I truly cared about them with the bottom of my heart.

I'm seriously still mind blown by this book. There are very few life-changing books out there, but The Fault in our Stars changed the way that I view everything. That in itself is such a rarity. A book like this is going to be hard to top, but with John Green, anything is possible. His books are truly modern classics, and he will forever be one of my literary heroes. This is one of those books that I'll be thinking about for days. Such beautiful, powerful, hilarious but heartbreaking novel, that will really change your perception of life.

Amazing. Breathtaking. Smart. Witty. Heartbreaking.

I would give this book 10 stars if I could. In a heartbeat.





6 comments:

Gina said...

I want to read this so bad! And your review makes me want to read it more! I never read anything by him before, but I desperately want to change that. Hopefully I can get my hands on this book soon!

xo, gina

anythingimaginableblog.blogspot.com

April X said...

Squee, I'm glad you loved it so much! My copy is sitting in my room waiting to be read (hopefully soon!) :) Great review!

Paige said...

Can't wait to read this! Thanks for the review!

JJeter2 said...

This book was incredibly amazing. I am not going to give any spoilers, but quite honestly, I have never read a John Green book. But trust me, now I m defiantly going to read ALL of them. I am not the type of guy to cry, but this book actually put me to tears. I recommend this to anyone everywhere!

JJeter2 said...

I forgot, this is also the best book I have ever read in my lifetime, and I read a lot!

JJeter2 said...

This book was incredibly amazing. I am not going to give any spoilers, but quite honestly, I have never read a John Green book. But trust me, now I m defiantly going to read ALL of them. I am not the type of guy to cry, but this book actually put me to tears. I recommend this to anyone everywhere!