Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate.

Okay, little secret about me? Total closet football fan. Like I said in my last post, I don't think that they should be paid so much, but I do appreciate it mentally and physically. And my dad is a huge Patriot's fan, and I'm the only one who will listen to him ramble about them...so eventually it started making sense. So, the point being that I was extremely excited to read Catching Jordan. I love books that defy typical gender roles. So when I heard that there's a book about a football team where the Captain and Starting QB is a girl... I was like hell yes!

Jordan was such a great main character. If she was a real person, she'd be someone I'd definitely look up to. She's so determined, so dedicated to football and following her dreams. I loved her entire personality. What a good captain she was, her relationship with the team, how she didn't take any shit. She continued to play football, despite the fact that her father didn't support it. And for a girl to be able to hold her own on a football field with a bunch of 200+ pound guys is pretty amazing. But I also love how stupid she was in some other ways. Like boys and how she's afraid she doesn't know how to kiss. 

I loved the entire dynamic of the football team. And how they totally had Jordan's back. JJ was the bomb. It's just, while I loved the way they treated Jordan... I can't help but think that it couldn't have always been that way, you know? Like, I wish I got to know some of the back story about how Jordan made the team, and the initial issues. Because it's kind of unrealistic that boys would just be automatically OK with playing with a girl.

Concerning the two main boys, Ty and Henry, my feelings for them totally flip-flopped as the book progressed. Which has never really happened.  Like, I loved Ty at first. First of all, he was described as Chace freaking Crawford's twin. And he was so nice and sweet to Jordan, and frankly just hot. But I mean, he had his flaws, and they kept becoming more and more apparent as the book progressed. Then there's Henry, Jordan's best friend who has loved her forever though Jordan's been completely oblivious. To me, Henry was just OK in the beginning. He bothered me at times (because he's a total man-whore), but I didn't hate him. And then by the end I was in love with him with Jordan.

And that's the thing about this book. I WAS Jordan. I felt how she felt. Her emotions became my emotions.

I did have some minor issues with the writing, nothing distracting. Sometimes the dialogue was spot-on, and then other times it'd be like, would they really say that? I did like the random poems dispersed throughout the novel. They added an extra something.

Overall, Catching Jordan was a great read that I'd totally recommend. It's about following your dreams and not caring about what other people think, and also following your heart. It's about making mistakes and owning up to those mistakes. And ultimately finding yourself. I think every teenager will be able to relate to this book. 





1 comments:

Zoey Talbon said...

HENRYYYYYYY.

Dude. This book made me feel SO MANY THINGS. ALL THE FEELINGS. I'm so happy you liked it! :D