Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances… a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life…and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last….

Sarah Ockler, you have done it again *applauds*

I've been so excited to read Bittersweet since I've heard about. I mean, you get summer romances all the time. But a winter romance? Filled with hot cocoa, figure skating, and hockey boys? Um, yes. This book did not disappoint! And, the cover is even prettier in person. It has this sparkly effect. 

The depth and sincerity that comes along with Ockler's beautiful prose never ceases to amaze me. Her words connect with the reader so well. Whenever I read her writing, it always seems as though she's speaking directly to me. There were moments in this book where I was laughing out loud, and just so many "aw" moments. The writing really resonates with you, and is just so refreshing. Also, can I just say that the chapter tittles were fantastic, as well as the cupcake descriptions at the beginning of each chapter.

So, plot wise and character wise, I think this must be my favorite Ockler story yet. It's just so stinking cute. The cupcakes. The skate love. The hockey boys. But the thing is... this book was so much more than just a cute story. It was about Hudson finding herself and finally figuring out what she wants. It's a story about family struggles and personal struggles, making mistakes and just growing up. I think every teen will be able to relate to this story in some way. I absolutely loved the figure skating element. If there's one thing I wish I could do, it's be able to skate well. And the hockey parallel was a nice change up. There's plenty of stories out there with the standard quarterback main character. But a hockey captain? That's hot.

Time to ramble and gush about the characters. I loved Hudson. I loved how totally not-perfect and realistic she was. Friend mistakes? Been there. Wanting to make everyone happy, until eventually you crack and just want do something for yourself? Done that. Hudson's characteristics embodied the typical teenager. And yes, sometimes I wanted to smack her, and tell her to stop being so stupid. But then there were other times when I could see myself being best friends with someone like her. And I loved her relationship with her eight-year-old brother, Bug. He was so adorable, in that 'why are you so intelligent?' way. Their scenes together always made me smile.

I loved Josh. So much. He was just so sweet. And totally swoon worthy. His interactions with Hudson were so adorable. And Dani was such a great best friend. Not to mention hilarious. Her lines had me laughing out loud. I didn't like Will at all. There was something about him that just bothered me. Maybe the fact that whenever Hudson was with him, I was like WHY AREN'T YOU WITH JOSH. (Yeah, I really loved Josh.) The entire hockey team and their dynamic was hysterical. 

So I know this isn't really a review, but I kind of loved everything about this book. No complaints. It's a fun winter read, while still having depth and emotional insight to it. I am such a Sarah Ockler fan. You just read her books and are like OMG THIS. Another fabulous read by Ockler, Bittersweet is probably my favorite book by her yet. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. 

On a final note, my favorite cupcake quote.
"No One Wants to Kiss a Girl Who Smells Like Bacon, So I Might as Well Get Fat Cupcakes"




 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I LOVE this cover! I've never read anything by Sarah Ockler but this book sounds like its just up my alley. Plus I'm a cupcake person =) Great review!

Paige said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked this! I am hurrying to finish the book im on now so I can start this one already! The cover is ADORABLE! I read the first two chapters and loved it! Thanks for the review!