Loving Emily by Anne Pfeffer

Ryan Mills is torn with guilt over the death of his best friend, and it's all because of Emily Wintraub. If Ryan hadn't seen those incredible gray-blue eyes, hadn't pegged her as a Potentially Amazing Woman, he would never have gone looking for her at the party that night. He would never have left his wasted friend Michael alone, when Michael needed him and asked him to stay. And if Ryan hadn't left, Michael would never have driven off, totaled his car, and taken the cosmic rocket ride into death.

As far as Ryan's concerned, when you’ve done something terrible, you don’t deserve to be happy. He tries not to fall for Emily, but he can't help it. Before long, he is "completely, gonzo, out-of-control in love."

Ryan then learns that Michael died with a secret. Still grieving, he feels compelled to take on his friend's unfinished business. When Emily begins to question where his commitments really lie—with her or with Michael’s memory—Ryan is forced to examine his choices. What does he owe to Michael, to Emily, and to himself?
I. Love. This. Book.

I remember this book and Anne from Inkpop. I read the first few chapters at the time, and remembered loving them, so when I saw that it was out I snagged a copy on my kindle. I don't usually read much self-published work. Typically, they seem to have a negative connotation going along with them, but Loving Emily is definitely a diamond in the rough. If there's more self-pubbed work out there like this, than I say give me more!

The writing itself was wonderful. So many great descriptive, deep moments. Emotion was just oozing from the pages! And ah, I loved it! Such beautiful writing. And Anne nailed the male POV. Some new favorite YA lines ever came from this book. Eek just so good!

The crazy-complex plot was awesome and so well done. There were so many facets to this story, so many facets to Ryan. Have I mentioned that I love Ryan? Because I do. There's guilty-over-Micheal's-death Ryan, family-Ryan, school-Ryan, Emily-Ryan, tennis-Ryan. So much is going on in this book, yet it is all perfectly natural and realistic. I loved watching Ryan change throughout the novel, and seeing how Emily changed him. Before he was a lazy teenager who slid by in school, but then he began caring and getting his grades up and wanting to do well. He was just an all-around awesome person, a mensch as his friend Jonathan called him. He was just so honest and sweet and caring (and hot!)

I just can't get over how realistic and awesome everything was. Nothing felt forced. All the characters were deep and real, even the minor ones. I got sucked into this story, sucked into every moment. And it had, by far, one of the best sex scenes. It was not an "oh this is so perfect and wonderful." It was awkward and clumsy and adorable and meaningful. And other than that there are just so many adorable scenes between Ryan and Emily that just make me go "Awwww!"


So yeah, I'd definitely recommend LOVING EMILY to everyone. AND the eBook format for it is only 99 CENTS! All the more reason to check it out, what a steal! Loved, loved this book, and will definitely stay tuned for any future work by Anne. :D



2 comments:

Zoey Talbon said...

Did she self-publish, or was she published by someone? :o *too lazy to research*

Marisa said...

Zoey: Self-published