Heist Society by Ally Carter

When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving “the life” for a normal life proves harder than she’d expected.

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring Kat back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has a good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help.

For Kat, there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family's history--and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way.

I have to say, overall I was quite disappointed with Heist Society. Everything I heard about it was great, and I've read pretty good reviews. This book wasn't bad. I read it in no time. So it did hold my interest... it just. Maybe my expectations were too high? There were definitely great moments... just not enough of them.

It's just, the biggest problem I had with this book was that I never connected with it. The story never spoke to me, I never got fully invested in any of the characters. At points I was skimming, and I just wanted the book to be over. And then when it was over, I was like "What the heck did I just read?" The story never spoke to me. Which is too bad, because it sounded like such a cool premise. It just didn't work.

Also, this was one of those books that's in third person where I'm thinking "WHY THE HECK AREN'T YOU IN FIRST?" I feel like the narrative itself was causing that disconnection. I never really cared about Kat or got to know her well enough. Maybe if it was written in first, I would've connected better.

There were so many characters. And I had trouble keeping up with them. Someone would pop back up in the end who was in the beginning, and it was one of those who the heck are you? moments. Because of all the minor characters, I felt like there wasn't enough development with the characters who mattered.

What I did like was the slow progression of Kat and Hale's relationship. I thought that part of the book was realistic and sweet.

Overall, I'm just really disappointed with this book. Most people seem to love it, but I guess it just didn't do it for me. I have the next book in the series Uncommon Criminals, and I will get to it. Eventually.




0 comments: