ARC Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Cinder will be released on January 3 by Macmillan Children's Publishing.

First off, hello another Marissa. Though you spell your name differently, there really aren't enough of us out there. Haha! Anyways, I've been dying to get my hands on this... because who doesn't love Cinderella? And so to take the story and make it all futuristic and complex, and where Cinder is a cyborg... that's pretty freaking awesome. Still, I went into this book not knowing quite what to expect.

I must say. Cinder definitely surpassed my expectations. I flew through it in no time. I loved how the initial roots for a Cinderella story were there, but Marissa really took off with this and wasn't afraid to make it her own. Cinder had an evil stepmother and stepsisters--though one of the stepsisters was actually nice. Cinder does go to the ball to see the prince, albeit under very different circumstances.The whole plot in general was so unique and well-contrived. It's part fairy-tale, politically intriguing, and an all around sci-fi adventure.

I loved all the characters. They were all purposeful and I felt were very well developed. Cinder was a great lead. Strong-willed and smart, yet vulnerable and confused. She never let her feelings for Kai interfere with her focus. Cinder is downright awesome. And Kai! I loved him. Yes, he was a prince, and he was just as swoon-worthy as you'd expect a prince to be. But that's not why I loved him. There's something deep about him, something that makes you forget his title and remember that he's just a man who's trying to figure everything out. And kudos for the realistic relationship between Cinder and Kai! 

There was no insta-love, and there feelings developed at a realistic pace.

And the writing was awesome too. The descriptions, the voices. Not too many YA reads are in third omniscient, but is so worked for Cinder. Also, a pet peeve of mine is when the author tries to explain unknown things out. I like being thrown into the world, and if the author does his/her job right, I can figure things out on my own. That's exactly how Cinder was. I was able to catch on and get the jist of the different technology words quite easily. 


The only thing is that the ending felt a bit rushed and abrupt. Well, for me anyways. Not in a bad way. In more of a HOW CAN THIS JUST BE OVER HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT TO READ MORE? 


Cinder is a solid read, one that I'd definitely recommend.





2 comments:

Ramisa/Remy said...

Amazing review! :D
Out of curiosity, you seemed very into the book.
How come you rated it four stars instead of five? :/

Marisa said...

@Ramisa: Honestly, I kept going back and forth between four and five. For me, a four is still a great book, but a five is OMG EVERYONE MUST READ THIS NOW. And Cinder didn't have the emotional pull to give it that fifth star. But don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it. :)