ARC Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

Obsidian is released in stores on December 6, 2011 by Entangled Publishing

I've been seeing this book everywhere around the interwebz. Rave review after rave review. Obviously, I had to read this, if only to see if the novel would live up to the hype surrounding it. Whatever I went into Obsidian expecting, this book totally surpassed my expectations. I'm attempting to stay composed as I'm writing my review... BUT OMG THIS BOOK. HOLY SMOLDERING HOTNESS. HOLY AWESOME MAIN CHARACTER. HOLY UNIQUE PLOT AND AWESOME WRITING AND JUST WHOA.

Okay. Freakout over. The caps pretty much sums up my feelings. But I will now attempt to write a semi-professional *cough* fan girl *cough* review.

Obsidian kicks ass on all accounts.

The plot. Was brilliant. And unlike anything I have read before. Her character's weren't vampires or werewolves or angels. They are freaking aliens. And not the typical War of the Worlds aliens. Nope. Think sexy, badass aliens. The way it was written was really believable too... almost to the point where I'm like, whoa what if this actually happened? (Maybe there's something that Jennifer knows that we don't...) And it was like battle of the aliens, with plenty of epic action scenes. I loved reading and learning about Daemon and his sister Dee's story. Score one for the aliens. Seriously, step away Edward Cullen. I want an alien.

More specifically, I want a Daemon.

Okay, I'll admit it. For about 75% of this book...he's a freaking douche. He was rude and an ass...and that didn't change no matter how hot I picture him in my head. But then there would just be the times when he'd say the sweetest things and could be so deep and genuine. And just my heart would be like *melt*. And I eventually got over the attitude problem because it was just so Daemon. He's protective, but not overbearing. And essentially just holy hot damn on so many levels. Love.

But you want to know who I loved more? Katy. The human who was thrown into the mix. She is the essence of everything I want in a main character. She someone who I totally could picture myself being friends with. I loved the sarcastic voice, and just her whole attitude in general. She didn't take any of Daemon's crap. She didn't turn all soft and mushy. I loved that. Even more fantastic... she was a book blogger! That added a whole new level of relatability. And get this... Daemon thought it was cute. (WHY OH WHY isn't there a hot guy in my town with these feelings toward book-nerd girls?) Katy had her bad ass moments, but she was also affected by everything going on around her in such a real way.

The character development overall was fantastic. This novel was definitely driven by the characters. And it thrived off of the sexual tension. I mean MY GOD. I loved it. The banter, the aww moments, everything. There were so many moments in this story where I would just be smiling as I read this.

If there is one thing I don't particularly like, it's the cover. This cover, while the guy is admittedly gorgeous, does not do this book justice. Thank God I didn't judge this book by its cover.

Overall, this book is a must-read, with something in it for everyone. The chemistry and sexual tension, the unique plot line, the sci-fi aspects, the kick-ass main character. *Cough* the sexy angsty alien *cough*.

Okay, enough attempting to make myself sound eloquent. THIS BOOK. THIS BOOK! OH MY GOD.






1 comments:

Kelley Vitollo said...

You just sold me on this! And I actually love guys who are a jerk. LOL.