Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready


Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart.

Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.
Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever.

Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.


I'd heard so many good things about SHADE, and I've been so excited to read it. I can't believe how long it took me to get through this, though I blame that on school and the excessive amount of work. Because once I sat down and could really read, I couldn't stop. I was worried that this book would be a disappointment because of the hype, but it was anything but. SHADE is an addictive read, one that I would normally go through in a day or two.

The premise puts such a unique spin on ghosts. The idea of there being this one moment where no one knows exactly what happens...but just that everyone born after that moment, known as the shift, has the ability to see ghosts. And that ghosts have the potential to become Shades--something that everyone is afraid of. The thing that I loved was that everything about the world was so normal. Apart from the ghosts everywhere, obviously. But it was like it could take place today, and Ready did a wonderful job of making this plot line believable. Her writing was nice and carried the story effortlessly. And she has excellent taste in music.

Aura was a strong main character. She went through so much, and all of her emotions and reactions felt natural and believable. The grief over losing Logan, the new feelings that are slowly forming for Zachary. It felt real. Like, how she formed a true friendship with Zachary and didn't just use him to get over Logan. And how ghost-Logan still seemed very real to her, so she still felt that sense of commitment. I understood her confusion. There's still a lot of unanswered questions concerning Aura and her lineage, which makes me anxious to read SHIFT, the sequel. Overall, Aura was great.

Okay, here's the deal. There is a love triangle in this book. Well, a semi-love triangle. Because one of the boys is dead. But Aura can still see him--so he's alive all the same. And while love triangles can sometimes annoy me to no end, I must give a round of applause to Ms Ready, because this love triangle was pulled off extremely well *claps*. There was purpose to it, and it made sense. It wasn't the oh aren't I so special two guys are in love with me how will I choose? It was complicated and understandable all at the same time. She was in love with Logan. Then he was an idiot and died. Now there's Zachary, her friend and history partner first, hot Scottish boy who's there for her when she needs it. And Aura finds herself developing feelings for Zachary. My personal favorite? Zachary. Because he's sweet and SCOTTISH and most importantly alive. Logan made me so angry because he was just so stupid. His death was the most idiotic thing I've ever heard of, and I just wanted to scream "YOU MORON!"

The book started off with a BANG, slowed down a little too much for my taste, and then picked right back up around the halfway point. I became so intrigued that I couldn't put the book down. SHADE is a unique spin on a paranormal ghost story with a strong voice and a well-contrived love triangle. Win! It's one of those books where I don't realize how much I like it until I write the review. I can't wait to read SHIFT. Give me more Zachary!







0 comments: