A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.

But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become--her mark on this earth, her very existence--is in jeopardy of disappearing completely.

Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny--no matter how dark the consequences.

A Need So Beautiful is a book that's been on my to-read list since before it came out. I'm not quite sure why, because this isn't really the kind of book I would usually go for. But the premise seemed intriguing and the cover is just gorgeous (even more so after you read the book!)--so I bought it during one of my many Borders binges. While I don't quite think that this story will go on my favorites list, it was overall a solid read and I'm glad I read it.

Charlotte is one of the Forgotten. She feels these compulsions--The Need she calls it--to go and help a stranger in need. These Needs are all-consuming, and physically get more and more painful the longer she waits to fulfill it. When she goes to fulfill a Need, she can almost see into the person that she's helping, she knows their past, and she knows what she needs to do to help their future. Cool premise, right? I think so. This was an angel story that I haven't seen anything like before--definitely unique. But Charlotte isn't called a Forgotten for nothing...people forget who she is immediately after she helps them. Her job is to keep helping people until her duty is fulfilled, and she basically bursts into light. But there's a problem, Charlotte doesn't want to be forgotten. And while I did like this premise... some parts could've been explained better to make it feel more believable. Sometimes it felt as though the author just made up certain parts on the spot, just so it worked.

The writing overall was pretty good. The descriptions and action were okay, but the emotion aspect was extremely well done. I felt for Charlotte. I felt her confusion. I felt the conflicting emotion. I felt her pain. I felt her love--for Harlin, for Sarah, and for Mercy. This book did pack that punch emotionally, and I did feel a connection with Charlotte, so I do think that while the writing isn't perfect, it'll only grow from here.

Some minor character talk: Monroe is Charlotte's Seer...the only one who won't forget her, and is supposed to help guide her into the light. He kind of creeped me out, to be honest. I never really knew what his deal was, if he was trying to help Charlotte, or just wanted to send her off into the light so that he'll be free. Harlin was adorable...but I felt like he could've been further developed. I never really knew him, I just knew Charlotte's adoration and love for him. Though the way the book finished set him up for some major character development in book two, so that made me happy. And Sarah was just awesome. Loved her witty remarks. But to me--while I did like these characters, they still just felt one dimensional and flat to me in most ways.

The message of this book really is beautiful. How there are forces out there bigger than we are. And while I did have some issues with the plot and character development, overall I did really enjoy this book. It was a quick, unique read with a message. If you want to read a unique twist on an angel story, check out A Need so Beautiful. And that crazy cliffhanger ending will definitely leave you wanting more.







2 comments:

Anna said...

I'm going to see Suzanne Young next week so I'm excited to read this one before the signing! It sounds so good! Glad to hear it wasn't horrible haha, great review!

Anna @ Literary Exploration

Marisa said...

Anna: Your meeting her? Jealous! Book signings are the best. Have fun! :D