Possession by Elana Johnson


Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


I was SO excited to read this book. I've heard mixed things about it, but I'm a sucker for dystopia and I thought the premise was promising. POSSESSION had good moments, it did. But overall, it was such a disappointment for me. Just note that I have just previously read BLOOD RED ROAD and DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE, both incredible, amazing reads. So I might be judging this book a tad harsher than I normally would.
For me I had two major problems. The pacing and the characters.

The Pacing: It was just off for me. Way too fast, in my opinion. Vi was supposedly so in love with Zenn, and then a chapter later, she's so attracted to Jag. There just wasn't enough world building, and everything moved so fast that it just didn't feel realistic to me. The plot, the romance, everything. Almost to the point where I was like "what the heck is going on?"

The Characters: This is what did it for me, honestly. I could never connect with Vi. I never got that emotional attachment that made me care about what happened to her. Her voice was sarcastic, which I normally love, but this one just felt forced to me. I never felt like I really got to knew her. But I did like Jag, a lot. His characterization was solid, in my opinion. But everyone else was just kind of blah for me. And the thing is, no matter how good a book is, if I don't connect with the main character, it doesn't even matter. And that was the problem with this book. And of course there has to be a love triangle. Because, why wouldn't there be?

What I did like: This is why I'm conflicted. Because there were some great moments in this book. There just needed to be more of these fabulous moments! There were some solid action scenes throughout the story. And there were lots of twists and turns. Jags character was awesome. There were some great moments and fabulous ideas sprinkled throughout POSSESSION, particularly all the mind control, that I just felt could be better developed.

What it really comes down to is this just wasn't a read for me, in all honesty. It's one of those books like DIVERGENT, where everyone either seems to love it or hate it. I was on-the-fence about DIVERGENT, and I felt the same way about this book. And while I didn't hate POSSESSION (because I do feel like it had promise) I just wasn't feeling it for the most part. And the problem is that I went into it with such high expectations. And it had the unfortunate luck of following books that I was like OMG!!!!!!!!!!! about. Though I did focus on the negatives more in this review, it is an okay read.

But yeah, I do recommend giving it a shot. See which category you fall into.

Want to win it now? Then enter the giveaway!

I'd give it 2.5 stars, but I always round up.






0 comments: