Blood Red Road by Moira Young


Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.
Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

Oh my God. I have never read anything in my life that I can compare to Blood Red Road. And I don't think I'll ever read anything that compares to it. I just finished it, and I'm stumbling over what to say. So I apologize if this comes out in an incoherent ramble while I'm trying to compose my thoughts. It's--wow. This book packs a punch in a way no other book ever has for me. Yes, it is that good.
First of all, it's unlike anything I've ever read stylistically. While the dialect and lack of quotation marks is a little jarring at first...after the first few pages, you don't even notice anymore. And now that I've finished, I can't imagine the book being written any other way. The narrative was perfect. Simple and meaningful, with such a strong, different voice from typical YA. The way this book was written was hard to pull off. Yet it was done effortlessly. Moira Young, where did you come from?!
The plot continued to be a total surprise as I was reading. The pitch is enticing--but super vague. I never really knew what to expect. And while the descriptions are perfect and I can picture everything in my head, I still wonder "where are they?" It's like Moira Young made up her own perfectly disturbing world, and throws the reader right into the middle of it. Saba's journey to get her brother back throws any other journey story in the dust. It grabs you and takes a hold of you, and you can't stop reading. The pacing was spot on, nothing felt like it was dragging or too fast.
The characters were all PERFECT. Saba was the perfect balance of strong and weak. She was so flawed to the point of me wanting to smack some sense into her sometimes, but nothing in this book remained truer than her love for her brother. The way so Saba. It was who she was, and she felt real. Every. Single. Character. felt real. The bickering between Saba and her nine-year-old sister Emmi was relatable. I loved Jack, and how despite the feelings between him and Saba, the romance was painfully slow, without anything really happening until the end. Because Saba's focus was her brother, and she never forgot that.
I cannot begin to describe the epicness of this book. It was everything I looked for and more in a read. Real characters who made me feel, a unique plot unlike anything I've ever read, lots of action, and a writing style that's in its own category. Blood Red Road is in a league of its own, and will forever remain on my favorites shelf. It definitely has lived up to the hype. Everyone needs to read this book!






5 comments:

Paige said...

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS EVER! I think I'm going to re-read it someday.

Chen Yan Chang said...

I can't wait to read this book! I've heard so much good stuff about it! But I must be patient b/c I'm in the middle of 2 books and still need to read a library book which is due next week! I actually have 2 copies of Blood Red Road(bought one and won one) which is silly :P

Anyway, can't wait!

Evie J said...

AHEM!!!! TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

A Backwards Story said...

I still need to post my review of this...and DIVERGENT! *cough* I really liked this, too. So glad you did!!!

Have you read SOLSTICE by PJ Hoover yet...?

Anna said...

I loved Jack :) He's like my ultimate book boyfriend! I actually borrowed this book from the library and after I finished it I went out and bought it.. that's how much I loved it :) I'm so glad to see someone else loved it as much as me! :)

Anna @ Literary Exploration