Why Do I Reread?

People ask me this question all the time. Both family and friends. They can't grasp why I would want to reread a book that I've already read. "But you already know whats going to happen!" is the common response. What they don't understand is that, (in my opinion,) I gain so much more the second time around both from a reader's and a writer's perspective. I catch minor details that I missed the first time around. I study the author's writing style and characterization. I look for foreshadowing. I know a book TRULY deserves to be on my favorites list when I can reread it and feel just as passionate about it than I did the first time around.

I've been spending the past week re-reading The Vampire Academy books, my all-time favorite series, in preparation forBloodlines, it's spin-off series. (Which comes out today!!) I found that reading this for the second time around gave me a whole new appreciation for the series. Richelle Mead's writing truly is brilliant. The intricate plots, the twists, the fact that there are so many characters throughout the course of the series but they all seem to hold their own and you never get anyone confused or forget about them. The creativity to come up with this concept in the first place is amazing, but the way to pull it off the way she did is just...wow. I knew everything that was going to happen, yet my heart was still racing a though I was reading these books for the first time. When I tell people about the series, they look at me as if it's just another Twilight. And I want to smack them... because the only thing VA and Twilight has in common is the word vampire.

I've reread every Sarah Dessen book at least once, and I've reread my favorites (The Truth About Forever & Just Listen) three times...maybe four? I just love these realistic stories and the subtle details I continue to pick up in each one. Also, I study these books writing wise, especially when it comes to pacing. The one thing I love about Dessen is she doesn't do those ridiculous whirlwind romance where everything is too fast. Nope, she draws out the romance, making it realistic and sweet in the most perfect way.

Another series that I pull out and reread once a year is The Mediator series by Meg Cabot. These books are just so perfect, and they never let me down. A kick-ass mediator MC, a hot ghost, intricate plot, and awesome writing? Win. This series will forever be on my favorites shelf.

I could go on and on about books that I feel are worthy of rereading... but I really would love to know what you guys think. Are you a big rereader? What books do you have to reread every year?



post signature

3 comments:

Amyrose♥Forder said...

I reread practically every book! Like you, I find rereading a lot more rewarding, it really helps me to find little details that I missed out on first time. I really love your blog! I would love for you to check out mine, if you'd like to :) I'm a HUGE reader too!
x

Lala said...

I agree. When I reread VA, I was picking up stuff I missed the first time around, and sure, I knew what was going to happen, but with books like those, you get so swept into them, you forget that you know what's gonna happen!

Roxy said...

I completely agree! Thanks for sharing! :)