He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott



Ally Ryan, come on down to the Jersey Shore and forget your troubles!
Have you recently been humiliated in front of your friends and family at your former best friend's birthday party? Was your almost boyfriend partly responsible for that humiliation by withholding some vital information about where your estranged father is? Did you come home to find said estranged father sitting on your stoop?
If so, then it sounds like you could use a vacation! The Jersey Shore is the place to be. Your mother may be living with her boyfriend of only a few months, but at least the stunt Shannen pulled has put some of your friends back in your court. Even so, you're still angry and what better way to get over Jake than to blow off some steam with local guy, Cooper? People will hardly recognize your new attitude, but the old one wasn't getting you anywhere, so who cares!
Jake Graydon, an exciting opportunity is waiting for you in the service industry!
Are your grades so low your parents have grounded you for the summer? Did you the girl you really like unceremoniously leave you behind? Would you rather eat dirt than see your friends again? Then a job at the local coffee shop is just the ticket! Surprisingly, Ally's father is the new manager so you get to be reminded of her nearly every day. Maybe it's time to start flirting with your best friend's ex or even taking school a bit more seriously. Especially when you finally see Ally and she's hanging around with some loser and it's couldn't be more clear that she is over you.
Have a great summer!

He's So Not Worth It pick right up from where She's So Dead to Us left off. And, oh I loved it. I was unable to put it down...reading it in all of a day. It's like, I would go to put it down, and then something would happen where I'd have to keep reading. Seriously, I stayed up until 2:30 reading this, and then I kept thinking about it after I put it down, as I was trying to fall asleep. So. Good. A perfect summer read.
Kieran Scott is just as good as ever. Her writing style is addictive. The voice are strong, the prose still funny and honest, and the dialogue realistic. And the plot of this one kept me just as hooked as the last one. Though I did find myself screaming at the characters more often than not. Because they were a bunch of idiots for 90% of the book... in the most compelling way. Because Ally and Jake aren't even together for most of the book! Ally's on the Jersey Shore with her mother while Jake's stuck at home with an SAT tutor and work. It was interesting seeing them so separate from each other, but when they were together it was so frustrating! Because they both want to be together, but they're sooo stubborn! And then Ally hooks up with one of the locals and Jake starts hanging out with Chloe...and I'm like noo!
The thing is, in this book, Ally is the stubborn one in this book. Numerous times Jake tries to make things right...though at those times he may have not had a way with words. But she like shuts him down without even giving him a chance more than once...when she still seriously likes him. So then Jake feels like he's justified in moving on too, since Ally obviously has. But Ally going through a lot in her personal life, with the return of her father and her mother's boyfriend. So I can understand how that's screwing with her mind, how she's confused and angry, not sure how to feel.
Oh, Jake, why do I love you so much? You keep messing up, but then you get all cute on me and I'll love you again. (Well, we all know I have a soft spot for the name Jake.) But I do feel like I really got to know Jake better in this book, and I loved his character development. His mom makes him take a college course over the summer, and he actually works and tries in that class. One of my favorite scenes is when he gets his first test back and freaks out over getting an A. I loved that! Jake can frustrate me to no end, and really make my emotions swirl. But ultimately, he can be so cute and sweet, and I just fall in love with him.
Another thing I enjoyed about this book was Annie, Ally's friend's, "Crestie Sightings" Diary entries. She goes around stalking (though she claims that's a strong word) the Cresties, collecting data for her novel/trashy expose. I liked the short entries that made up the chapter breaks, which gave us a look at different people/parts of the plot that Ally and Jake didn't necessarily interact with. I thought that was a very unique approach.
So as for this book, I only have one compliant. OMG THE CLIFFHANGER! Why did you do this to me, Kieran? How the heck am I supposed to wait until May for the next book?! Gah!! I seriously can't wait!!






3 comments:

The Divine Writer said...

After reading this, I am considering putting down Louisa May Alcott and reading about Jake and Ally. I'm SOOOO excited to read this book!

The Divine Writer said...

oh, and yes. Scott loves her cliffhangers. She does that really well as the author Kate Brian of the Private series. oh, and have you checked out Kieran's blog? you should follow her. I think her website is www.kieran-scott.com

Marisa said...

Oh, it's sooooo good Jen! Read it already!!