Bloodlines by Richelle Mead


When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

Oh my God! I've never been so excited for a spin-off series. I'd been anticipating this book ever since it's been announced! Vampire Academy is such an incredible series that I was so anxious to be back in the world, no matter what way, shape or form. I'm so happy to say that Mead has begun another enticing series which in no way disappointed me. Her writing is still incredible! The narration and description and everything were so well-done. But I expected nothing less.
I was actually pretty interested--if not excited-- that Mead chose to continue the story through Sydney's eyes. I loved her entrance in Blood Promise, loved the entirely new element she and the Alchemists brought to the VA world. In fact, one of my favorite lines in Blood Promise is a Sydney line. "Just because I like you, it doesn't mean I still don't think you're an evil creature of the night. You are." Haha, I love that! Anyway, I was uber-impressed with the transition into Sydney's POV. I'm so used to Rose's voice--but the change and tone of this book was immediate. The characterization of these books never cease to amaze me. Sydney's narration was strong in a completely different way that Rose's was, and the voice kept getting stronger as the book progressed. Another thing I liked that Mead did was that she made Sydney self-concious. Rose was gorgeous--and she was confident in herself enough that she knew it. But Sydney's a different story, always comparing herself to Moroi and commenting on her appearance. It just made her real to me.
And Adrain. Oh Adrian! Love him! He was still his charming and witty self. Oh, he cracks me up! We get to see this softer side of him as well...which was fantastic. Everything about Adrian was awesome in this book. Jill it took me longer to really like. I felt for her and could sympathize, but it was only towards the end that I loved her as well. And Eddie! So glad that Eddie was incorporated into this! God, I love these characters. Even some of the new ones rocked. It was great playing detective, trying to figure out who the good and bad ones were. And there was a Rose sighting! Only for a second, but still! Rose!
Plot wise, I was impressed. Mead sure filled that California boarding school with drama and suspense. VA is super action filled, whereas with this one you had to play detective and keep guessing what was going on. It still amazing me how many characters Mead incorporates into her stories without a hitch. I felt like the plot was slower paced than VA, but that only makes sense. We still got an epic scene at the end though!
Another thing that was refreshing was the lack of romance in this book. It does look like Mead is setting up an epic romance for later on, but I'm just so glad she's taking her time in developing this and not rushing things. It definitely adds more to Sydney's character, and it keeps me as the reader so interested in what's to come. It definitely added a different aspect to the series from VA. Though there is some romance between other characters, it's definitely no priority for Sydney.
I think what I really need to stop doing is comparing this series to VA, though it's hard not to. I personally feel like it's A MUST to read VA before this, but in all honesty someone could pick this book right up and be totally fine. There's so many qualities in Bloodlines that makes it feel like it's own series and not a spin-off, and I really loved that.
BUT OH MY GOD THE CLIFFHANGER!
Of course, nothing can ever beat what is Rose and Dimitri, in my opinion. But this book set up what will be an epic series. Just like VA, I'm betting that each book will get better and better, and I'm so excited for the next one! LOVED this!!




2 comments:

Evie J said...

*like*
I LOVED IT!!!
I'm with you on the nothing can beat Rose/Dimitri, but still, it was amazing for me! And haha! I know, right? We need to not compare, but...we kinda have to, right?! haha! I mean...the story's just continuing through a different character's eyes, methinks. But anyway, I LOVED it!

Cary Cheyenne. said...

I cannot explain how excited I am for this book! I love Richelle Mead and The Vampire Academy is honestly one of my favorite series, if not my all time favorite! This review is amazing and absolutely lovely, darling :)