Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott



Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared.
Once upon a time, my name was not Alice.
Once upon a time, I didn’t know how lucky I was.
When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.
Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.
This is Alice’s story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.



Wow. This book was one of the scariest and most disturbing books I have ever read. I've never gotten freaked out by those crazy SciFi horror books. Ghosts and evil vamps and werewolves just don't do it for me. It's books like these, things that could happen in real life, that really get to me and freak me out. And while this was disturbing, I couldn't put it down.

The story is about Alice, a girl who is kidnapped at age 10 from an aquarium by a pedophile. But her name isn't really Alice, that's the name Ray gives her. Ray uses her and abuses her for five years, all the while telling her that he loves her and that she should be a good girl for him. He makes her wear clothes that are too small and only lets her eat yogurt because he wants her to stay young and like a little girl. Alice knows that as soon as she can't fit Ray's little girl mold he will get rid of her.

It was so, so sad, reading a story like this through the victims eyes. I could feel her fear, her hopelessness. She wanted to die, she was ready to die. She was even willing to find another girl for Ray to take just so it could be over for her. She describes herself as the living dead girl.

This was just so scary to me because these things do happen. It reminded me a lot of the Jaycee Dugard story in many ways. Young children do get abducted and are forced to do horrible, horrible things. And often times people don't even seem to notice.

It's not often that books are written on this topic, in this way. But Elizabeth Scott did it extremely well. My stomach was churning, my heart was thumping, and I was rooting for Alice.
This is certainly a story that will stay with me for a long, long time.






3 comments:

Gina said...

Looks very good! Thanks for the review :)

xo, gina

Taylor Lynn said...

*shiver*... that's the kind of story that freaks me out, too. Yikes! It sounds like an interesting book... but I doubt I'll be reading it anytime soon. Too disturbing. :(

Taylor Lynn said...

Great review, though!