Going Bovine by Libba Bray



Can Cameron find what he’s looking for?
All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school—and life in general—with a minimum of effort. It’s not a lot to ask. But that’s before he’s given some bad news: he’s sick and he’s going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure—if he’s willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.


Wow. I don't even know what to say, except that this was one of the weirdest books I've ever read... and still I found myself immensely enjoying it. I've been seeing this book around the interwebz for a while now, so I finally decided to pick it up. And while it wasn't OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK for me, it's certainly a memorable read that I'm not likely to forget.
Hands down, the best thing about this book was the characterization. Cameron's voice was so distinct and and engaging right off the bat. His emotions and reactions to everything felt so real. And I LOVED Gonzo. He cracked me up with his germaphobenss. Too funny. And Balder was hysterical! Best freaking Lawn Gnome ever! And Dulcie rocked too. While the plot could be confusing and sometimes just downright bizarre, what made me kept on reading was how invested I got with these characters.
And I loved the whole road trip-ish setting! New Orleans && Disney World, with some pit stops in between. Win!
But the plot was just....bizarre. I was finding a lot of it hysterical, but sad in an ironic way because he's dying of mad cow disease. Mad. Freaking. Cow Disease. Who writes about that? The uniqueness is like through the roof with this book. I don't want to say too much about the plot so I don't spoil anything...but Cameron got really trippy. And while the scenes themselves were funny, I was more sad for him. What I did really like was how we got to see what Cameron was like BEFORE the disease and while it was just beginning to set in... it made the change he went through much more obvious. Though sometimes I did zone out during the narration or find myself skimming...
I really don't have much else to say, because I don't want to give the book away. But this story was nothing like what I expected. It was thought provoking and funny and made you question everything. With characterization as fantastic as it was, and a plot I GUARANTEE you've never seen before, this is definitely worth a read.






3 comments:

Paige said...

I couldn't agree more. Gonzo and Balder were so hilarious! It was a really confusing and bizarre plot. The cover was even more confusing until I read the book, then it made perfect sense. The whole Dr. X thing was weird though and I never really got it. Oh well.

Marisa said...

Yeah, I appreciate the read, but at points I think it was just a little TOO weird for me. xD

Loraine said...

I like your review :D Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/going-bovine-by-libba-bray.html

Thanks and have a nice day!