Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler



Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart.
She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition.
Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?
Rich with emotion, Sarah Ockler delivers a powerful story of family, love, and self-discovery.



This book took my breath away. What a beautiful story Sarah Ockler has pieced together, full of complex characters, beautiful prose, and interesting twists. I've heard nothing but great things about this book, but nevertheless, I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did.

Ockler's writing style is just so incredible. She knows how to use words to make you think, to get you invested in the characters and the story, and to just resonate with you. There's paragraphs I read that really hit home at points. I'll shamefully admit that I am the type who sometimes skims long paragraphs of prose to get back to the dialogue, but I didn't do that once in this book. I thought the prose was the best part of the book.

Delilah was such a believable character, right down to the core. I loved how she wouldn't give up in her pursuit to learn about her past. And how by digging deeper into her family history, she learned more about herself. I loved her and Patrick's relationships, I'm such a sucker for best friend romances.

But what I loved most about book was the focus on the dysfunctional family, and how well it was handled. The romance was a nice subplot, but that's what it was. A subplot. The true core to this story was fixing a broken family, and that was just so refreshing to read. Especially watching Delilah and mother and how their relationship changes over the course of the summer. All she wants is for her and her mom to be close again. For her mom to be willing to talk. With all the YA that has parents who are absent for the most part, seeing a parent play a key role was so nice!

Honestly, if anyone else tackled a plot like this, I don't know what I'd think. Ockler's breathtaking, amazing writing is what made the book what it is. Her ability to flesh out character's and narrate as though she is Delilah is something I've seen in few authors. It makes for an incredible read.

What drew me to this book to begin with was the cover. It's gorgeous, and describes this book perfectly!

Fixing Delilah is a beautiful story about finding truth, mending a broken family, and finding unexpected love through it all. It's a quick read. I would turn the page, wanting more, only to find that it seemed to be over before I blinked. And it's a must read!







8 comments:

Paige said...

Thanks for reviewing this! I am planning on reading it really soon, so I'm glad to hear it's good! :)

Taylor Lynn said...

Don't you love when you find a book that overwhelms you like that? :)

Qui said...

This is one of my all time favorite stand-alone novels! It made me cry like a baby.

Marisa said...

@Paige: I can't wait to hear what you think!

@Taylor: Totally!

@Qui: Wasn't it great? The amount of emotion portrayed it unbelievable. I loved it!

sarahockler.com said...

Thank you so much for your awesome review! I'm glad you loved Delilah! :-)

Sincerely,
Sarah Ockler

Mariella Cecilia Catherine-Rose Hunt said...

I want to read it now.
This was a great review.
:)

Evie J said...

SARAH OCKLER COMMENTED ON YOUR BLOG!!!!!!


Just felt like screaming that like you didn't already see. :D

Loraine said...

Great review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/fixing-delilah-by-sarah-ockler.html

Thanks AND have a nice day! =D