Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins Review



Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful,Étienne has it all... including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss? Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guaranteed to make toes tingle and heart melt.


What can I say about this book? Well, as Anna would say,ohmyfreakinggod! This is another book that is being added to my all-time favorite contemporary fiction list. And it's pretty close to the top. Words can't describe how much I loved ANNA, but I'll do my best.

First off, the Paris setting. How gorgeous is that? I felt like I was in Paris myself while reading, and experiencing France through Anna. This book did an amazing job of making feel like you're in Paris without lots of info dumping about Paris... if that makes sense. I want to go to Parissobad now!

Anna is one of my favorite MCs. She's the kind of girl who can be your best friend, one everyone can relate to, I loved how her name was Anna Oliphant, so her best friend calls her banana elephant and collects said objects for her. I loved how she had a clear, distinct, quirky, and unique voice right off the bat, and that it never faded. I love how she loves to critique films. Anna is flawed, and she knows how to screw up for sure, but that's PERFECT because it's real. I also liked the bleached stripe in her hair, because what teenager hasn't done that/wanted to do that?

Then, there's Étienne St. Clair, the French/American with a swoon-worthy British accent. Talk about HOT. To most, he's known as St. Clair, but to Anna he becomes Étienne. And by God, I think I'm in love with St. Clair. I know I've said this before people, and that I go through many fictional boyfriends, but this is the real deal. The wake-up-and-are-still-thinking-about-him-throughout-the-next-day kind of love. Question: Where are all the St. Clairs in the world? I want one! Because he's perfectly imperfect. He's hot and funny, smart and a history geek, and just sooo sweet. But he's also an idiot for taking forever to see what was right in front of him! Again though, it makes him real. Another thing Perkins did that I loved for some reason was that she made St. Clair short. I don't think I've ever heard of a short male lead. It seems to be a pretty general thing in YA that guys are "tall". So go St. Clair for rocking the sexy shortness!

My God, I love him.

There were a lot of minor characters, and they were all handled extremely well. Every single character played a significant role. No one was simply just there. Each minor character had it's own mini subplot and a story of their own.

I just loved Perkins's writing style in general. It was so light and fun and HILARIOUS. So many times I found myself laughing out loud. There's this one character who emphasizes a word in every sentence. Too funny. One thing that annoyed me a tad was that THE CAPS WAS EXCESSIVE. After awhile it stopped bothering me so much, but there are other ways to emphasize. But that's really my only teeny weeny nitpick.

What else can I say about this book, apart from continuing to ramble on like a crazed fangirl? I freaking love this book so much. Honest to God, I'd give it 6/5 stars if I could. I don't know what I expected going it to this book... but it far exceeded ALL expectations.

Yes, it is THAT good.
Read it. Now.




1 comments:

Taylor Lynn said...

Well, it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed that one! :D Thanks for the recommendation!