Dancing Through Real Life

This weekend was recital madness. Dress rehearsal Friday, and four shows between Saturday and Sunday. I love, love, finally getting to showcase my hard work for the year on stage, but it can get stressful. And sleepless... I think I just finally caught up on my sleep.

Both of Saturday's shows went well. I was only in four numbers in each one, just my competition dances and the opening. Sunday's shows were crazy! I had seven numbers in the day show, and eight in the night show. I pretty much lived in the backstage room between the opening and intermission between all the quick changes... there was no time to run back to the dressing rooms!

Sunday night I only had ONE SONG to change from my hip hop costumes to my lyrical one. It was soooo scary, I thought I wasn't going to make it. I literally changed behind the curtain. And one of my friends helped me, so it was okay. But still. Scary.

The Michael Jackson medley we did for the opening number was SICK. It's possibly my favorite dance ever, and I was so lucky to get to be a part of it. It was five minutes long and had parts of Billy Jean, Bad, Black or White, The Way You Make Me Feel, P.Y.T, Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, and Beat It. The senior and junior comp classes did it, and learned it in three classes. It came out AMAZING. I'm getting the video, so when it comes in, I'll try to post.

There's nothing I love more than being on that stage. And it's something I tend to forget until i'm back up there, ya know? Suddenly, it's like I get this shot of adrenaline that makes everything better. My kicks are higher, my leaps are stronger. And this insta-smile just kind of forms on my face without even trying. I love it.

With dance recital being over, that means summer has officially started! I just know it's going to fly by.

Hopefully this past weekend will give me inspiration to continue on more with Dancing Through Life's rewrite. :)



Photobucket

7 comments:

Amaranthine said...

eek. I have my dress rehearsal today too!

Josiphine said...

Ah! I wish I could dance! You make it sound so fun!

Paige said...

The feeling of being on stage is great. The teachers always say, "the dance won't magically come together on stage," but in a way it does. Like you said, kicks and leaps are better, everything is stronger and that smile just goes automatically on your face.

I love quick changes! Well sorta. Just the feel of them is fun. And wow, you had a lot of numbers! Sounds like a cool opening number. Ours is lame every year because the little kids never pay attention, and we only do four practices for it.

Glad you had a good show! I need to read dancing through life.. sorry I haven't in so long :(

abackwardsstory said...

I can't wait to see clips if you can post them! It sounds amazing. I'm glad you had so much fun <3

Taylor Lynn said...

It sounds busy, but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! :)

You know what's hilarious? I had just read about the Michael Jackson medley when "Thriller" came on the iPod my sisters and I have on shuffle. HOW COOL IS THAT?! ;)

Marisa said...

@Paige- yeah! Isn't it amazing how everything just comes together? :)

@Amaranthine- good luck at your dress rehearsal!

@Bonnie- I'll definitely post some when I can!

"Taylor Lynn- I LOVE it when that happens with songs! Sometimes i'll be writing a song into my book and it'll come on iTunes shuffle. So weird! :)

Taylor Lynn said...

I know, isn't it great? It happened to me not long ago on another blog - the author, Maya, had done a post about Taylor Swift, and when I was composing my comment a Taylor Swift song came on. LOL! It's so fun!