Book Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour



Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

Lately I've only doing book reviews for what are in my opinion noteworthy books. This book goes to the top of my list as one of the best books I've ever read.

First of all, the road trip setting was fantastic. I've been dying to go on cross-country road trip for as long as I remember, and reading about Amy & Roger's journey was just so much fun! Also, throughout the book are these little inserts--diary entries, playlists, receipts, (real) photographs--that made me feel like that I was on the journey with them. The writing was already wonderful, these tidbits were just an added bonus that worked so well for the story!

Then there was the emotional story that was written so beautifully and realistically. I loved watching a broken Amy heal and put herself back together. I loved how she was into musicals. I loved how she wasn't this perfect and innocent character, but a flawed one who did make mistakes yet still came out strong.

And Roger. I thought he was adorable. Though he had his own problems, he was one of the most likable guys I've ever read about. I fell in love with him with Amy. He was sweet and supportive, caring yet not overbearing. He's one of those genuinely nice guys that do exist out there, yet YA seems to show a lot arrogant, possessive, or sickly romantic ones lately. It was just so refreshing to read.

All the minor characters were very well-defined too. I don't want to say too much, because I don't want to give anything away... but everyone has to read this!

I've been DYING to go on a cross-country road trip for FOREVER. One day, it WILL happen! Especially since I have so many friends throughout the US that I've made through writing that it'd be awesome to stop by and meet. It's amazing how different other parts of this country are, and I'm dying to get out into the world and see it. This book really accessed that longing from within even further.

It's definitely a MUST read! I loved every part of it!














2 comments:

Evie J said...

One of my favorites!

Taylor Lynn said...

It sounds like an awesome book! And I know what you mean about reviewing noteworthy books. I do a lot like that. Or I plan on doing books I just KNOW are going to be good! :)