New York, New York

I just had the most amazing day yesterday. My school's music department took a whirlwind day trip to New York City. In a nutshell, we did a workshop, did a little shopping, ate at a NY pizzeria, and saw the brand new musical,Wonderland, a modern take on Alice in Wonderland.

First off was the five hour bus ride. But we watched Harry Potter the whole ride up, so it wasn't too bad. We got into the city at about 1:30. The last time I was in NYC was six years ago, I was nine and saw Phantom of the Opera. I've been trying to get back for years, and I was so excited to finally be able to. The gross, drizzly rain didn't even bring me down. In fact, my friends and I marched around NYC bursting out in "I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the raaaainnnn."

The first thing we did was a workshop. We got to go to a studio where real Broadway actors rehearse. (I heard from one group from our school that there was a Bernadette Peters sighting.) It was unreal getting into the elevator and having a paper posted "4th Level- Les Miserables, Memphis" "12th Level- Billy Elliot" and such.

I did a Music & Movement workshop with a guy who's an actor in Memphis. He taught a bit of "Steal Your Rock 'N
' Roll" and the dance that went with it. So we're learning the dance, and after we do it, he specifically points me out and tells me,"You're awesome. You got this."

A freaking BROADWAY actor complemented ME. That just about made my day right off the bat.

After the workshop we made our way up to Times Square, one of my favorite places in the world. I love the energy there. At that point, my teacher either said we could go to Hershey or M&M, both of which are right across the street from each other, and set a meeting time.

I remember M&M from the last time I went, and it's seriously the coolest place ever. It's three floors, of the coolest stuff.

After that, we headed to a pizzeria for dinner in the theatre district. I have decided that it is true, NY Pizza is the best in this world. I mean damn, it was a good slice of pizza.

And then the show, Wonderland. Wow, it was amazing! Everything about it. The music, the cast, the costumes, the set. The dialogue was witty and hilarious, everyone was cracking up. And the dancing was too funny at times. The voices blew me away. Everything about it was great!

We got to see one of the first previews of the show, and it was too great. The whole audience was standing up as soon as the curtain call began. Another great thing was being able to see the original Broadway cast, the people who I'll hear if I buy the CD. There's something great about seeing the Originals, in my opinion.

All and all, an incredible day. Here are some more pics!


Broadway. The greatest place in the world <3


View from the second floor of M&M. Times Square in essence.


The Giant Yellow M&M :D

A fantastic show. I see Tony noms in your future ;)

My souvenir. I saw it and the theatre geek within simply couldn't resist.




Photobucket

5 comments:

Endor said...

I am SO jealous!

Lala said...

I want that Wicked M&M cup!! <3

Lala said...

Oh, and next time you go on one of these day trips to New York, can I come?!?!

Marisa said...

Laura: Isn't that mug the coolest thing ever? :D

Paige said...

Awesome post! That's so cool! I LOVE NYC! I went there two years ago and I can't wait to go back!

Wow! I'm so jealous you got to learn with a broadway star and he even complimented you! I would have been jumping for joy!

I agree times square is incredible, especially at night!

Isn't the M&M store great? I was just so shocked that there were SO MANY M&M's in one place! and the hershey store, I thought i was in heaven!

Cute mug too!