Where She Went by Gayle Forman


It's been three years since the devastating accident ... three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.
Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.


This week I read a book whose words were too beautiful to describe. Where She Went by Gayle Forman is an emotional roller coaster with the dry humor, despair, and hope all mixed into one.

There are no words that can describe how much this book moved me. I loved seeing things through Adam's eyes, and seeing how much he loved Mia and how he dealt with her leaving. It might have to do with what a sucker I am for the tortured artist.

Everything about this book felt real. The characters, the relationships, the emotions, all of it. To be honest, I wasn't sure how it was going to compare to If I Stay, because that book was so heartbreakingly beautiful and left me in tears. But I instantly fell in love with Adam's voice and connected with him in a way I've connected with few characters.

Surprisingly, the tears never came with this book, except slight watering of the eyes at the end. Instead, I found myself completely numb, not quite knowing what to say or feel that could do this book justice. This is the kind of book that will stay on your mind for days after you finish it.

This book will stay with me forever. I only hope that one day I'll be able to write a book that touches others the way Where She Went has touched me.







4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm jealous, haha. I started outright bawling whenever they had their conversation on the bridge. :(

Amaranthine said...

Hi! This is Amaranthine. :P I love your blog! I like do dance too. What kind of dance do you do? I do ballet, hip hop, and jazz. I was born in Hingham, Massachutses. ;).

Amaranthine said...

Thanks for your comment! Plymouth....I remember going to Plymouth Plantation a bunch of times. I don't compete. Our studio is larger and not very geared toward competition. (rolls eyes.) I'm not good enough at jazz and they don't even have a hip hop PG. Our studio does go to most of the competitions though. Pacific Dance? have you heard of it?

Jenna said...

I FELT THE EXACT SAME WAY. If I Stay made me BAWL, while Where She Went just left me numb without any tears. It was such an amazing book. <3