The Carrier of the Mark Review

A move to Ireland is about to introduce Megan to her destiny, her real destiny, can she embrace it and will she survive it?

A tragedy in Megan’s past set her on a predetermined course. A chain of events has been set in motion that brings Megan to Kinsale, a small town in the south of Ireland where her destiny awaits her. Her life starts to fall into place as she makes new friends and settles into her new school. However, the reclusive and distant Adam DeRís calls to her body and soul.

She finds herself increasingly drawn to Adam and his strange family. Adam knows a secret from her past and he and his family hold the key to her future. A future that binds her to Adam and his world, a world of power, mystery and ancient orders. A world that unbeknownst to her, she very much belongs in.

For those of you who don't know, I was lucky enough to win an ARC of The Carrier of the Mark through an InkPop giveaway!! Thank you InkPop! Eek, I was so excited to receive it in the mail, I kind of had a mini freakout. I think my parents think I'm weird... LOL.

The Carrier of the Mark is unlike anything I've read before. The premise is so unique, that it's almost hard to describe. I thought having it set in Ireland was quite refreshing and new, and I liked learning some Irish heritage as well as terms. I fell in love with Kinsale along with Megan. I loved all the magic in the book, and how a totally unique spin was put on it. Some of my favorite scenes in the book was seeing the magic in action and how it was described. And the mystery around it all is what's most enticing, and what will keep you reading.

One thing about this book is that there were so many characters! But Leigh handled them all extremely well, and each one had definitive qualities in the way that I never mixed anyone up. The introduction of each character was well done, and development throughout the book was strong. Oh, and thank you for sneaking in the pronunciation at points for a few of the names, because I would've had NO CLUE how to say Aine throughout the entire book! Haha!

I loved watching Adam and Megan's relationship blossom and grow. They were so perfect for each other, and their relationship felt real. So many "aww!" moments. Megan in general was just a wonderful main character to watch. She had the perfect balance of strength and weakness. While at points it reminded me of the Bella/Edward relationship... let's just say that Megan is no Bella! And Adam is no Edward either.

But while I loved Adam and Megan together... I don't know what it was, but I didn't LOVE Adam. I can't put my finger on exactly why. Maybe that's just because his whole overprotectiveness isn't my thing. Instead, I found myself crushing on Rian, Adam's hot older brother. Gah, I loved him! The angst, the torture within....mmm.... HOT. Which is funny because... WAIT. I shall say no more -zips my lips-.

And I know I've said this a million times, but after reading the story I feel the need to reiterate how much I love the cover of this book! It's beautiful, and really relates to the story. I love when the cover of a book is in essence what the story is about, because I've seen so many covers and think "what does that have to do with the story?"

For me, the story really started to pick up when the magic came into play. This was were Leigh Fallon showed off her magnificent story telling skills, and what a story she came up with. Leigh, how the heck did you ever think of all this? It's awesome! I mean, some elements we have seen before, but all the Irish heritage and ancient orders behind it is what makes it so unique! The writing itself is simple and really moved the story forward.

And the ending! What a perfect ending. I HATE when books leave off with this huge cliffhanger, and I have to wait over a year to find out what happens next. The Carrier of the Mark brings a satisfying ending, one that allows the book to stand on its own, yet there's enough unanswered questions to make you read the sequel.

I was so fortunate to be able to read this book early. And it was my first ARC ever too! One problem, who am I going to talk to about it until it hits stores? o.O

The Carrier of the Mark hits bookshelves everywhere October 4th, 2011.
Add The Carrier of the Mark to your goodreads shelf.
Like The Carrier of the Mark on Facebook.
Follow Leigh Fallon on Twitter
Follow Leigh Fallon on her blog. (Speaking of which, there's an ARC competition over there going on RIGHT NOW. Go enter people! Extra goodies are possibly involved!)

Hmm.. there appears to be a lot of loving going around when it comes to The Carrier of the Mark!








3 comments:

Leigh said...

Thanks for the awesome review! I'm soooo glad you liked.
Leigh

Kris Summers said...

Great review. I like the HOT mention of Rían. It's the perfect word to describe him, looks and all!! I have to agree with you. Adam and Megan are perfect for each other, but there's something about Rían that makes us drawn to him. I think it's the bad boy touch; it's like playing with fire. He's dark, the kind that parents shy from, yet we can't help but be dazzled and attracted to him.

776233f0-4e03-11e1-8277-000f20980440 said...

I can't agree with you. I absolutely hated this book. I could tell, right from the beginning, this book would be full of clichés. It truly was though. And I couldn't connect with any of the characters. I didn't feel anything towards any of them. Especially the guy, Adam. It wasn't that I didn't like him. I didn't like how the author created and wrote about him. He's supposed to be hot and brooding, but it just came off as fake. There were so many things wrong with this book. I also thought there needed to be more world building. I still don't care about any of the curses or whatever. Everything seemed fake. That's just my opinion. I gave it one star. But, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review!
Alyssa <3