Why Be Normal? Comparing YA High School to the Real Thing

High school is rough. Not gonna lie. It's a place where everyone just wants to fit in, and acceptance can be hard to get. So many people float through school, all in the hopes of just fitting in and being "normal." But what is normal?

I don't really feel like my school has set "cliques." I mean, of course people gravitate to/hang out with people with similar interests as them, but who doesn't? I think YA books overdo and dramatize the high school environment. I remember reading some of these books in my early years of middle school, and wondering "whoa, is high school really like that?"

Of course, there are the things that are and are not socially acceptable. Like reading. And writing. Not too many people know I write, only my group of friends. I keep it a secret to avoid the weird looks, and having to explain why. How does one explain why they love what they love?

On the reading front, I'm so beyond caring about the weird looks that come my way when I pull out a book. I read on the bus, (I can't imagine being one of those people who can't read in a moving vehicle! That's where I get my of my reading done!) I read in class, after a test or when there's time at the end. In which I'm sporting my EPIC new bookmark that I got at Mary Poppins. It naturally says "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." It's even a hologram one! Look!


How awesome is that? Be honest! :)

I think that where books go wrong is that they tend to stick their characters (especially the minor characters) into one category. The brain. The jock. The cheerleader. The geek. And have you noticed how the people who are "smart" always seem to hate/be awful at gym class? People aren't that clear cut. Why can't you pull straight As, be a dancer, and love books?

People try to hide their quirks. Why? Our quirks are the best part of who we are! They define us and ultimately make us who we are.

Some of mine? I have a thing about good pens. And it always makes me think of Sara and Tobey's "I enjoy a good pen" conversation in When it Happens. I have this pen that smells like a watermelon. It's seriously the greatest thing ever.

Also, I actually like and get math. I like how it's a subject with no in-betweens, there's one clear cut answer and you're either right or wrong.

I find that I'm more productive if I snack while I write. More often or not there's a mug of hot chocolate by my side as I'm writing. Also I do my best writing at night. It's not the most convenient during the school year, but in the summer I can easily write from 11:00-3:00 every night.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says "I'm bored." I'm never bored... and I don't need to be constantly doing something to feel that way. I can keep myself occupied for hours.

I tend to get obsessive over things for brief periods of time. When I was thirteen I had the biggest obsession with RENT once I discovered it. I watched it CONSTANTLY. It's still one of my favorite musicals. Over the winter break I became obsessed with Vampire Academy. Right now, it's Les Miserables.

I keep my locker neat. I look at some peoples lockers and am horrified! How does it possibly get so messy? Gah!

Point of this: Embrace your quirks! :)

Side note: I'm working on establishing a posting schedule... that way there's some order and I'm not thinking "hmm... I should probably blog now" like I was thinking write before I wrote this.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Marisa, I am OBSESSED with pens.
Whenever I'm writing during school, I need a specific type of pen or I can't focus.
It's weird.

Alexis said...

Obsessed with Clueless right here! lol.
I watch it at least once a week. I wish high school was like that for me.

Paige said...

I love Mary Poppins! We did it for a production number and we spelled out supercalifragalisticexpialidocious in a large line. haha. It was difficult but fun. GAH YOURE LUCKY! I cant read in the car, it makes my head hurt and makes me feel like im gunna throw up :/ it sucks. I keep my writing a secret also, I feel like I'd be judged a lot if people knew.

I agree with you on how books exaggerate on high school cliques and such. I do that in my writing though.. haha.
I try to keep my locker clean, but sometimes it gets a tad messy, haha.

Marisa said...

@Jenna: Is it weird that I'm so obsessed with my watermelon scented pen that I fear losing it? LOL

@Alexis: Yay for obsessions!

@Paige: Marry Poppins rocked!
I know... I'm guilty of exaggerating a bit too. But if we wrote high school like how it really is, books would be boring... lol

Lala said...

Jenna, I'm the same way. If I don't have that pen, I just won't write.
Yeah, and Marisa, you're totally right (almost typed "write" instead), cliques are way over done in books. In fact, my school has 3000 kids, and there's no way for a clique to survive and be the top of the food chain. There's just too many people.