Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

I read Shiver for the first time a little over a year ago. Then I decided it was about time I read Linger, so I reread Shiver again and blew through Linger. I have to say that while overall I really enjoyed these books, my feelings are mixed on some parts.


First off, I LOVE the entire premise of these series. Stiefvater did a great job putting a unique spin on werewolves. The whole shifting from wolf to man based on the temperature was fascinating.

This was one of the rare cases where I liked the sequel better than the first book. Shiver was able to do a good job standing on its own, but I felt that Linger was much more developed, plot wise and character wise. I didn't like Shiver as much the second time as I remembered liking it the first time.

I liked Grace. It wasn't until I read Linger until I began feeling for her though. In Shiver I felt like she was too... stoic, if that's the right word. By the end of Linger, I felt for Grace. I wantedthings to work out for her. In that respect, Stiefvater did a great job with Grace's development. Even though her story wasn't the only story in Linger (that book is told from 4 perspectives), her character felt more real in this book.

My biggest problem overall was Sam. He was just way too sappy for my taste. There were moments I loved him, and I did want things to work out for him and Grace, but then there were moments were I just wanted him to shut up. Be a man, Sam! Come on! And honestly, when I read, I made my eyes skip over the song lyrics. I did feel horrible for Sam at the end of Linger, and I do appreciate how much he loved Grace, but he needs to cool it.

I LOVED the introduction of Cole in Linger! I thought Stiefvater did a fabulous job with him. He was the most developed character of all of them, in my opinion. Yes, he came off as a cocky asshole. But when it came down to it, he was broken, and by the end it seemed like he was beginning to fix himself. I have a thing for the tortured artists. The only plot hole I found with him was this: if he was supposedly a major rockstar, how come no one knew who he was until halfway through the book?

Isabel rocked in Linger, and while I thought it was weird that this book randomly went to 4 person narration (Shiver it's just Sam and Grace) I'm so glad it did. I like her and her narration much better than Grace. Her and Cole were definitely the best part of the book. I don't know if I could've handled another book of just Grace and Sam.

I pretty much wanted to punch Grace's parents in the face. But I'm pretty sure that's the effect Stiefvater wanted, lol.

Overall, these books are totally worth reading. The premise is intriguing and will keep you wondering. I will anxiously be awaiting for the concluding book in the series, Forever, which hits shelves in July.

If you like werewolves and want to see a fresh twist on them, I'd definitely recommend these books.








Shiver Rating:


Linger Rating:









0 comments: