I'm Delirious After Finishing This Book





Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.






So I finished this book yesterday. I had to sleep on it before I could write a blog, because basically the only thoughts going through my head after finishing were OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!! FDOASFJOWEJFLSAKFJAWEOIFASLDJDOFHDSOGHDSAFJALSF!!! And other senseless gibberish. LOL

I've been anticipating this book since I heard about it back in October. Before I Fall is my favorite stand alone novel, so I knew that this book was bound to be great. Plus, the premise of this story has some similar concepts to the book I've been writing Blissnorant, which was started before I heard of Delirium.

Speaking of the premise, it's kind of incredible. A world where love is classified as a disease? How cool-yet-horrible is that? And when she lists all the symptoms, it DOES sound like a disease, haha!

The characterization was wonderful. I loved Lena, and it was so enjoyable watching someone who is convinced love is a disease fall in love herself. It takes the cliched concept of someone who doesn't believe in love falling in love to a whole new incredibly unique level. Does that make sense?

And I fell in love with Alex along with Lena. God, I love him.

Oh, another thing I thought was great was how Oliver put little snippets at the beginning of each chapter that were passages that came from books in that society. Alterations in the Bible and nursery rhymes that teach that dangers of love and all that. I thought that was so cool.

I had super high expectations for this book, and it EXCEEDED every single one of them. I was not in any way shape or form disappointed. The writing itself was just as great as BIF. She is one of those few authors that does an amazing job with present tense.

Okay, maybe I am disappointed with the ending. LAUREN OLIVER, HOW THE HECK COULD YOU KEEP US HANGING LIKE THAT? I'M SUPPOSED TO WAIT A YEAR FOR THE NEXT BOOK?! HOW?!

Okay, that was incredibly gushing. I still can't get over this book. Wow.
People. GO READ IT RIGHT NOW! GO!
Why are you still reading this? You SHOULD be reading Delirium.








2 comments:

Lala said...

Adding it to my reading list. :)

meeeshelley said...

Haha, I'm just the opposite of you. I LOVED the ending, and I almost wish there weren't a sequel to it. xD

It had that whole full-circle element (with Lena thinking about her answers at her evaluation again and how she finally understood why she said what she did then), and with it ending with the same words her mother said when she left. It just felt so final! But still open to interpretation as to where you'd think it would go for Lena from there. I'll definitely read the sequel OF COURSE, but I'm worried of getting all the questions answered; I liked them being left a little open-ended.