Another fantastic dystopia: Matched by Ally Condie



Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her

: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.


The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


It's only February, and yet I've read another fantastic dystopia novel worth obsessing about. I've been wanting to read it for months, and finally did. Initially, the themes of this book reminded me a lot of Delirium by Lauren Oliver, which I just read and is one of my favorite books. While in a couple ways these two books are similar, Matched has it's own completely unique world, and after about 10 pages all thoughts about Delirium left my mind. Matched is just as great! While thinking about it.. I did come to the conclusion that I liked Delirium a bit better, but Matched is a close second! The writing is simple and beautiful, and the character development was fantastic.

First off, I loved Cassia! She was a great female lead. She knew what she had to do, and she followed her heart. She rarely whined or complained, something that I admire in an MC. I loved her relationship with her family-- especially her Grandfather. I became quite attached to Cassia throughout the book, putting myself in her situation. And it's such a pretty name.

Ky. Oh, what can I say about Ky? Putting it simply, I love him. He was real. And so sweet. I loved how he taught Cassia how to write (can you imagine not knowing how to write?) and how they shared those words. I fell in love with him along with Cassia. He's just so... ah! *swoon.*

But poor Xander. I really did feel for the guy. You could tell that he loved Cassia. And he's perfectly nice. This is where Condie's characterization rocks. She made me like Xander and sympathize with him, but fall head over heels with Ky.

The whole premise of the Society itself was really well delivered. The people are so controlled and conformed to Society life. And the Society controls everything. Who you're Matched with. Where you were. What you play. What kind of knowledge you have. What you eat. When you die. They have a set of 100 for everything from the old world. Hundred Poems. Hundred Paintings. Hundred Songs. All of this kind of made me appreciate the simple freedoms we have that we take for granted.

Oh, and I love the cover. Simple, yet beautiful. And the dress is gorgeous.

Well, Crossed is going on my long list of sequels I have to wait for. The never ending list that keeps growing... *Dies in anticipation*

Loved this book. Can't wait for the next. Go read it.
Now.










3 comments:

Sarah Nicolas said...

I was excited about this book when I first heard about, but then I heard some mixed reviews. but after reading your review, i think I'll move it back to the top of my to-read pile!

Marisa said...

Sarah: Yeah I keep hearing a lot of mixed things about it too. I really liked it. I mean, you can't go reading it right after you read Delirium, because Delirium IS better. But it is one of the better dystopia's I've read :)

Paige said...

I just started reading this today! It was sitting in our libtrary window at school and the cover looked so cool so I'm like, "I should check this book out soon." And right after I got home that day, Evie did a review on it! Now that I've started reading it, when I get home you did a review on it too! haha. Thanks for the review, I think I'm going to read delirium soon.