Updates On My Writing and My Breakthroughs.

I figured it was about time to give an update on my projects.
Especially when I'm having either a major or minor breakthrough with all three of them!
(I was in this writing funk for a while, but now the tough thing is decided what TO write.)

Dancing Through Life
First I'm going to talk about my biggest and most exciting breakthrough... Dancing Through Life! (Or whatever it will be called, since I'm strongly considering changing the name.) I haven't touched this piece since I got my HarperCollins review the first day of August. I needed a break from that piece, and took the tips the editor gave me as I dived into my second novel, Perfection Is My Enemy. I told myself that I would begin edits for DTL over my Christmas break, thinking that was SO far away at the time. Christmas came and went and I still didn't touch it, instead working on Perfection.

This past weekend I decided it was time to pull it out. I opened it, looked over parts, and realized that it wasn't as good as I thought it was. It wasn't so much as the writing itself... it was more like flaws in the plot. I began this novel when I was 13, and looking back I do believe it was good for my age. Now that I'm getting better and pickier... I realize that my book wasn't ready for HC to read like I thought it was.

I was thinking of ways to make it better. Scenes to take out, things to add in, characters that should be developed further. And then, all of a sudden, this idea came to me. It involves a MAJOR plot change (that I'll reveal in a later post, once I write more) but I think it will add so much more to the story. My plans will take away from a huge element, basically turning DTL into a new story... but I think it will be better. I've already written 2k of the new first chapter.

I will reveal one detail of the new storyline: Chloe is going to have a boyfriend to begin with. He's not only her boyfriend, but her dance partner as well.

While this is significant on so many levels, keep in mind that this is not the biggest change coming.

I'm so excited for this much needed breakthrough, and love getting back into Chloe and Jake's heads. I miss them more than I thought. :D


Perfection is my Enemy
I'm super excited as to how this story is panning out. I feel like writing is stronger, and the characters and plot are more realistic than the first draft of DTL by far. Being inside Colby's crazy head is so much fun. And I LOVE Max.

I just hit the 40k mark with this book, a little over the halfway mark. I'm shooting for a length of around 75k. Over my break I wrote two chapters and edited two. My goal is to have a completed manuscript by April (high hopes.)

I'm so happy that the romance element is beginning to come into play. It's still a subplot, but I love that I can begin to write cute moments between Max and Colby. Like this one that happens in chapter thirteen.

“Come on,” he said, holding his hand out. I took it immediately, without even thinking about it. He pulls me up with more force than I expected. I stumbled forward, but he put his hands on my waist to steady me. When I looked at him he gave me a small smile.

Then I saw a lighthearted smirk.

“Let’s dance,” he said.

“You’re kidding right?”

He pointed at himself. “Does this face look like I’m kidding?”

“Hmph, I didn’t know you could dance,” I said. He grabbed my hand, lacing his fingers through mine. I felt my heart rate quicken.

“Oh, no. I’m an awful dancer. But who cares?” He let go of one hand and twirled me clumsily.

“I’m not dancing,” I said, trying to push him off.

“Too bad, you already are,” he said.

We took a couple steps to the left. He twirled me again and then dipped me.

“This is ridiculous, Max. There’s no music.”

He shrugged. We did that weird side step thing that seems to only look good in movies.

“Ow!” I said, laughing when he stepped on my foot. I looked up at him and our eyes locked. His eyes were so intense. Looking into Max’s eyes, I felt a twinge of hope.

“Okay, that’s enough dancing for you,” I said.

“I don’t think so,” he said, picking me up and spinning me around. I felt so silly. Okay, so maybe this was fun. But I’d never admit that to anyone.

I decided to let myself enjoy the moment. Because knowing me, I’d just find a way to ruin it. I’d let Max win for now, So I wrapped my arms around his neck, and we danced – if you could even call that dancing. What we were doing fell more into the category of swaying.

This was the first time I danced with a guy, real dancing. Not the homecoming dance Jess made me go to in ninth grade where random seniors would come up and grind on you. No, this was real, meaningful, who-cares-if-there’s-music-or-not dancing. And despite myself, I loved every second of it.

“Thank you,” I said. The words just came out, without meaning to. But I meant it.

He looks at me, almost surprised. But he understood. Max was one of those guys who just saw everything clearly, and it was effortless. So without even asking what I’m thanking him for, he just said, “You’re welcome.”


It makes me want to go write more. Right now.


And finally, there's Blissnorant.
Ah, my dystopia piece. I'll keep this brief. I was in a 6k funk with this one for a while. But I'm slowly coming out of it, and I have an idea that will hopefully produce a chapter or two this weekend. I'm hoping to hit the 10k mark by February 18, my one year InkPop anniversary. I'll devote a whole post to this novel as I get closer to getting ready to post.


That's about all in my latest writing endeavors.
I'm going to go make hot cocoa.
Peace.
Photobucket

1 comments:

Briana Meyer said...

The novel I'm working on right now is 6,901, which isn't bad because I started that novel recently. And I'm planning on making this book the first of a series. The "novel that will change the world" is around 4,145. That novel will take as much time as possible because it's so...complex. It's going to be the most complex dystopian novel ever. (Well, that's the hope.) Another novel I'm thinking of won't be written until later but it's a modern day re-telling of one of my favorite books ever!