My First Experience with Jane Austen

So I had my first reading experience with the classic novelist Jane Austen with Pride and Prejudice. My friend loves this book, and I've read so many books today with references to the classic, so I figured I ought to give it a go.

I liked it, I really did. I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would. In my head, I set this story up to be the greatest book in the world, and was slightly disappointed in the end. It was still great though, and a book I'd recommend to anyone!

I think what struck me the most, and what's the best quality of the novel was the complexity of it for the time period it was written. I mean, it was published in 1813. Almost 200 years ago!

Elizabeth was a wonderful main character. She's so opinionated and well-spoken, you can't help but love her. Strong female characters like her just weren't written back then, and reading the witty prose was so refreshing.

What I enjoyed the most was the slow developed, complex romance. While, in my personal opinion, the plot dragged at points, I loved how it's not a love-at-first-sight situation, like so many novels were that were written in Austen's time.

What bothered me the most while reading was this, the lack of paragraph breaks. Sometimes, it would go for two to three pages without a single break in the page! I pushed through it, though I wanted to gouge my eyes out at points. Also, some of the old language was difficult, but nothing I couldn't get through, as a lot of the meanings were common sense based on what they were talking about.

I have to say I was very impressed with the movie. Keira Knightley did a fantastic job as Elizabeth! Sometimes the thick old English accents were hard to understand... but it didn't bother me enough to not enjoy the movie. I love how they'd quote the book exactly in a lot of scenes. All the actors/actresses did a brilliant job.

One thing I couldn't decide was if the Mr. Darcy was cute or not... I don't know. LOL. My friend agreed with me when I brought it up.

One thing is that it was a pretty hard movie if you didn't read the book or had interest in it. My twelve-year-old sister tried to watch it with me and fell asleep. Haha!

Overall, I thought this was a great read AND watch. Bring on the Jane Austen. I think I might try Sense and Sensibility next. We'll see.

Have you read any Jane Austen? What did you think?


Photobucket

5 comments:

Lala said...

That's my summer reading project. -_-

Marisa said...

It's not a bad read at all, Laura! Not an absolute favorite... but pretty good for being written nearly 200 years ago!

Tessa~Faith said...

I read Emma last year. Other than that I haven't read any other of hers yet, but several are on my list.

Paige said...

Hi Marisa! Thanks so much for following my blog! I love getting new followers! I had 24 at around 4:30 and I logged back on now and it's 5:25 and I was like WOAH 25!

Lol, anyways yeah that's why I was asking what type of dance you liked, because I know you dance too! ( We also talked on inkpop like months and months ago)

And wow! That's crazy! I'm going to go read over your About Me section now! I can't wait for your "Meet Marisa" on Friday!

Paige said...

Oooh we do have a lot alike! I love to act to, I just didn't put it in my About Me, lol.