MAX: A Maximum Ride Novel by James Patterson

MAX by James Patterson

In Los Angeles, Max and her friends take over the skies with a hair-raising air show... while below, a deadly assassin watches. Then the flock learns that fish are dying off Hawaii in a strange, frightening ecololgical catastrophe - and only they can stop it. But even as Max and her team comb the ocean's deapths to uncover the truth, a powerful enemy tracks their every move. Can the flock protect itself from the approaching storm and save the world from utter destruction?

Page Count: 271
First Thoughts: Well, this is the fifth instalment in the Maximum Ride Series. I had read the first four by borrowing them through a friend, so when I saw I 50% James Pattersons's books email from my Borders Rewards, I knew I had to get it. This series has intrigued me from the start, and I wanted to know what happened next.
Characters: While I love Max and her snarky sarcastic attitude, sometimes I feel like it's a little bit too much sarcasm. But overall she's an excellent MC, she's a strong female leader. Fang is so mysterious, I always want to know what he's thinking. Iggy and Gazzy are awesome. And frankly, Angel scares me. I still am not sure what her deal is. In my opinion though, the best character of the whole series is Total the talking dog. He makes the books. I've found myself laughing out loud at points. But what was with him growing wings in book four? I thought that was odd.

Setting: Well, since the gang is always traveling, a lot of different states and countries are mentioned in this series. And though we know where they are, I feel like the author could do a bit better job describing the setting more specifically. But that's just my opinion.
Plot: It felt a little rushed to me. First we're one place then we're another. We're underwater, then we're in the air. I wish that the author would slow it down a bit. Though I do like how the romance storyline between Max and Fang is continuing to unfold. Finally!
Writing Style: The writing style in this series is so unique and different from the average book. That's one of the main reasons I like this series. It's mainly told in first person, with Max as the narrator. Sometimes it switches to second person, where it's like Max is talking to you. Other times it switches to third person to show scenes Max isn't there to witness. It's a very different style that few authors could pull off.
Cover: It's nice. It's not as eye catching as some of the other covers in the series, but it has a cool feel to it and it works.
Final Thoughts: In general I really enjoyed this book, it was a nice quick read with well developed characters. There's a lot of action scenes that are written very well, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

Rating
Characters: ☻☻☻☻☺
Setting: ☻☻☻☺☺
Plot: ☻☻☻☺☺☺
Writing: ☻☻☻☻☻
Cover: ☻☻☻☻☺
Overall: ☻☻☻☻☺

This is a series definitely worth checking out. It's intense at some points, and then there are other points where you're laughing out loud. I'd recommend starting from book one, Maximum Ride.

Photobucket

0 comments: