The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

The Book of Lost Things
John Connolly



High in the attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness. Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld. While his family falls apart around him, David is violentlyy propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.

Page Count: 339 for just the book. 470 including a Q&A with the author and the original fairytales.
First Impression: Well, in all honesty, I would have never picked up this book on my own. I had to choose a book on a list for summer reading, and this book seemed like the most interesting one. Although I'm not the biggest fan of fantasy, so I was a tad skeptical. When I read the back, my thoughts were that this could either be really good, or really bizzare.
My thoughts: Well, this was a lot better than I thought it would be. The imaginary world that David was thrown into, despite it being nameless, was very vivid. Mr. Connolly sure has a knack for sensory imagery. There were so many scenes that I could picture perfectly in my head.
David was a dynamic main character. In the beginning, he was just a child with silly routines he did to deal with his mother dying. Throughout the book he overcomes extreme obstacles, he we see the wisdom he holds despite his young age.
The way the classic fairytales were twisted in this story was ingenious. The antagonist in this story, The Crooked Man, was a creative playoff of Rumpelstilskin. The "Loups"- a half man half wolf breed- came to being when the story of Little Red Riding Hood was twisted and said that she fell in love with the wolf.
My favorite twisted story was Snow White's. I was literally laughing out loud at points. According to the story, the dwarves trying to posion Snow White and frame the wicked step-mother... but she had an alibi. So now the dwarves are working in the coal mines on probation. Apparently Snow White isn't very nice...
The Writing: The writing itself was pretty good. It was written in third person, and I'm more a fan of first person narration. But I could see why this story had to be written in third person. I liked how at the end of the book, all the classic fairytales that were involved in the book were given in their original form.
The Cover: Is okay. It's kind of cool, but not something I'd pick up on my own.
Final Thoughts: I was thoroughly surprised by The Book of Lost Things. Though it wasn't a book that by any mean would normally be my cup of tea, I found myself enjoying it. Sure some parts dragged, but for the most part it's a decent read.
Overall:☻☻☻☻☺

Photobucket

0 comments: